Sunday, June 28, 2009

Review: Guilty Pleasures


Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton
I know I'm late to the party when it comes to the Anita Blake series. I've been rather dismissive of the whole paranormal trend in fiction and romance, but I'm beginning to think I've missed some great books. This book was really great and is very promising start to the series.


Anita Blake is an animator, meaning she brings people back from the dead, at least temporarily, in the form of a zombie. Very handy when there's a question about a will. She is also known to vampires as the Executioner because she's got a real talent for exterminating vampires. In this first story Anita is blackmailed into investigating the murders of innocent vampires. However vampires are unpredictible, especially the St. Louis master vampire Lothoas, and Anita realizes she's likely to be lunch no matter how her investigation goes.
More horror than mystery or romance (I believe a romance develops in later books), this book is violent, bloody and thrilling. Lots of action and smart-assness from Anita. I will definitely be reading more Anita Blake books.
My Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment