Thursday, June 25, 2009

Review: Practice Makes Perfect



Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James

My review, the short version: practically perfect.

Really this has to be one of the best contemporary romances I have ever read! I also read Just the Sexiest Man Alive and while reading both I kept thinking of Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I don't mean to draw any similarities between the two authors as to characters or plot. Rather, as I was reading this authors books I had that same thunderstruck feeling of wow! that I used to get when I first started reading SEP's great contemporaries. I had the feeling that I just read something fresh and new.

J.D Jameson and Payton Kendal have worked at the same law firm for eight years. They've both worked very hard, they are very competitive with each other and both expect to make partner this year. Payton and J.D. don't like each other; she resents him because he comes from priviledge and he thinks she has an unfair advantage as a woman. When they are assigned to work together on a case they begin to respect each other until they learn that only one of them will make partner. Then the fun begins!

I can't say enough good things about this book. It was a joy to watch the romance unfold and these two prickly characters lower their defenses. The dialogue was witty and the characters were fabulous. It is so refreshing to find a workplace-set romance where the hero and heroine are equals, and where the heroine doesn't have to quit her job to make babies. The sex scenes were not graphic but were emotional and true. If you're looking for a fun, sweet contemporary that gets everything right, look no further.

My grade : A+

No comments:

Post a Comment