Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Review: Immortals After Dark books 1 & 2 by Kresley Cole

This series is my first real foray into paranormal romances. I first read Kresley Cole's historical If You Dare, which I loved, so I thought she would be a good intro to paranormals. And now I'm addicted because these books are really good.

Warlord Wants Forever by Kresley Cole
Short Story in Playing East to Get
(Immortals After Dark #1)


This short story is a wonderful introduction to the Immortals After Dark series. Cole has created a parallel world "The Lore" which is peopled with all sorts of supernatural creatures -- vampires, werewolves, fey, ghosts, phantoms, Valkyries, demons, witches, gods and goddesses.

This is Nickolai and Myst's story. Nikolai Wroth is a Forbearer, a group of vampires who do not hunt humans and so are not tortured by the memories of the people that they have killed. They are at war with the Horde vampires and when he seizes a Horde stronghold he finds Myst, a Valkyrie, imprisoned. He immediately recognizes her as his Bride but convincing a resistant Valkyrie will not be so easy.

My Grade: A-



A Hunger Like No Other
by Kresley Cole
(Immortals After Dark book #2)


Werewolf Lachlain MacRieve has spent the last 150 years chained underground, tortured by a vampire. When he senses his destined mate Emmaline above ground he sacrifices a limb to break free and reach her. Emmaline is half vampire and half Valkyrie, alone in Paris and vulnerable. Lachlain in disgusted to learn that his mate is a "leech" and Emma thinks Lachlain is mad. He forces her to go with him to his home in Scotland and hopes to woo her on the way.


I shouldn't have enjoyed this as much as I did, as I'm generally not crazy about Scots or Scottish accents and Lachlain is a bit of a jerk in the beginning. But I totally forgave Lachlain and the Scottish accent grew on me so that I really enjoyed this book. The best part was reading about Emma, who is very weak for a Valkyrie, discover her powers and come into her own. And I do love Kresley Cole's men. They all seem to treasure their women.

My Grade: B+


I have just loved this series. The world the author has created is fascinating and expands with each book. We learn more about the Lore, the creatures who live in it and how the groups align with each other. Creatures in the Lore love to fight and since they are all immortal the fights are pretty violent -- bones are broken, characters are entombed, or tortured. In a lot of ways it's like reading stories about superheroes.

Highly recommended.







No comments:

Post a Comment